Rules for Monthly Member Art Exhibitions
- The entry fee is $5 per painting. This must be paid when paintings are delivered. Entry fees are not refundable once a painting has been accepted for the exhibition. Paintings are to be delivered before 10.30am on the scheduled changeover day.
- Each member is limited to three (3) entries in each month’s competition.
- An entry must not have received a 1st or 2nd prize at any other art exhibition.
- Each entry must be an original work of the artist submitting the artwork and be in keeping with the subject stated for the competition. Copies, photography, computer generated images are not acceptable unless a section is created for that type of art.
- Artworks cannot be entered into the same monthly themed exhibition in subsequent years.
- All entries must be for sale. The commission rate will be that applicable to each individual member at the time based on that individual’s involvement.
- Artworks that are sold may be taken by the purchaser upon completion of payment and after the competition has been judged.
- Unsold artworks should not be collected before the next scheduled Exhibition without the Gallery Installation Co-ordinator’s permission. Members may take their paintings out after 2pm, Thursday prior to the Friday exhibition and gallery changeover.
- Artworks are not to be left on Thursday afternoon to be entered on Friday morning, they must be presented by either yourself or your nominated person.
The ‘Rules for Monthly Member Art Exhibitions’ specified above were issued on 26/11/2021 and apply from this date. The previous rules can be found here.
Rules for All Artworks Installed at Gallery 5
All artworks must be for sale and be your own original work. No photographs or computer-generated images are allowed unless a specific competition / section is arranged for those mediums.
- Only current financial members’ artworks or other acquired artworks can be installed at Gallery 5
- No paintings shall exceed 122cm on any one side.
- D hooks must be attached to the back to nay artwork installed on gallery walls. Fix the hooks no more than ¼ of the way down from the top of the painting.
- A wire or strong string is to be attached to the D hooks.
- Artist’s name, the title, medium and price are to be clearly displayed on the back.
- Artworks that have been awarded 1st or 2nd Prize in any previous art competition must not be re-entered into future competitions.
- Artworks to be entered or displayed must be brought in on scheduled changeover days between 9am – 10:30am.
- Artworks from concluding displays are to be collected either after 2pm on the Thursday prior to the changeover or on the changeover Friday morning. When an artwork is collected it must be signed out on the artwork registry.
- Artworks not collected during changeover will be temporarily stored at the artist’s own risk and should be promptly picked up from the storeroom.
- Large 3D installations can be displayed when space allows or the artwork fits the theme of that monthly competition. This is to be negotiated with HBAS Executive.
Emerging Artists: Members can nominate themselves as an ‘Emerging Artist’ in a given medium or competition and will be judged accordingly. Feedback will be provided by judges. When an artist has been awarded best emerging artist or similar three times, they are deemed proficient and no longer eligible to be classified as emerging in that medium. Please advise upon entry of artworks.
Presentation: Stretched canvasses should be neatly painted on all sides. All framed works must be suitably and securely framed. Artworks will not be installed if they are not presented in a professional manner or if, in the opinion of the Committee, the artworks are unsuitable.
Risk: Artworks are installed at the member’s own risk. The Hervey Bay Art Society Inc. accepts no responsibility whatsoever for any damage to, or loss of a painting by any means. Any member hanging one or more paintings in the art society’s gallery agrees to indemnify the art society against any such damage to or loss of any artwork.
For the safety of members and visitors, no one except installation team members are to enter the installation zone unless directed to do so by an installation team member.
Commission: All artworks sold in the gallery are subject to commission as set out below:
|Major Office Bearers, Life Members & members who volunteer every week.||15%|
|Members who volunteer for 6 hours or more every month||20%|
|Members who volunteer once a month (minimum of 3 hours)||25%|
|Members who cannot volunteer||35%|
The ‘Rules For All Artworks Installed at Gallery 5’ specified above were issued on 26/11/2021 and apply from this date. The previous rules can be found here.
Monthly Member Art Exhibition Schedule
Monthly Member Art Exhibition Judging
The monthly member art exhibition is judged separately by two members from the Gallery 5 Judging Panel. The 2 judges’ scores are then collated and the prize winners are those with the highest scores.
Each judge score a mark out of 25 – weighted as per the following criteria:
Visual Impact / Expression (10)
- Composition attracts the viewer.
- Mood is well established.
- Composition directs the eye effectively.
- Colour & medium are used expressively.
- Productive use of light and dark.
Technical Skills & Command of Medium (10)
- Application of the medium is appropriate for the chosen subject / style and is implemented to a high standard.
- The elements of art: shape, form, line, colour, value, texture & space are well applied.
- Effective application of the principles of art: balance, contrast (variety), emphasis (focus), harmony (unity), movement (rhythm), pattern, proportion/scale.
- Displays a grasp of the technical aspects specific to the chosen medium & style.
- Artwork is clean and tidy.
- If framed, the framing is complementary to the artwork (expense of frame is not relevant).
- If unframed, all edges are well covered and complementary to the artwork.
- Artwork is complete and ready for sale.
- Overall presentation does not detract from the artwork and adds value to the piece.