A PDF version of these rules can be downloaded here.
RULES FOR ALL ARTWORKS INSTALLED AT GALLERY 5
All artworks must be for sale and be your own original work. No photographs or computer-generated images are allowed unless a specific competition / section is arranged for those mediums.
- Only current financial members’ artworks or other acquired artworks can be installed at Gallery 5
- No paintings shall exceed 122cm on any one side.
- D hooks must be attached to the back to nay artwork installed on gallery walls. Fix the hooks no more than ¼ of the way down from the top of the painting.
- A wire or strong string is to be attached to the D hooks.
- Artist’s name, the title, medium and price are to be clearly displayed on the back.
- Artworks that have been awarded 1st or 2nd Prize in any previous art competition must not be re-entered into future competitions.
- Artworks to be entered or displayed must be brought in on scheduled changeover days between 9am – 10:30am.
- Artworks from concluding displays are to be collected either after 2pm on the Thursday prior to the changeover or on the changeover Friday morning. When an artwork is collected it must be signed out on the artwork registry.
- Artworks not collected during changeover will be temporarily stored at the artist’s own risk and should be promptly picked up from the storeroom.
- Large 3D installations can be displayed when space allows or the artwork fits the theme of that monthly competition. This is to be negotiated with HBAS Executive.
Emerging Artists: Members can nominate themselves as an ‘Emerging Artist’ in a given medium or competition and will be judged accordingly. Feedback will be provided by judges. When an artist has been awarded best emerging artist or similar three times, they are deemed proficient and no longer eligible to be classified as emerging in that medium. Please advise upon entry of artworks.
Presentation: Stretched canvasses should be neatly painted on all sides. All framed works must be suitably and securely framed. Artworks will not be installed if they are not presented in a professional manner or if, in the opinion of the Committee, the artworks are unsuitable.
Risk: Artworks are installed at the member’s own risk. The Hervey Bay Art Society Inc. accepts no responsibility whatsoever for any damage to, or loss of a painting by any means. Any member hanging one or more paintings in the art society’s gallery agrees to indemnify the art society against any such damage to or loss of any artwork.
For the safety of members and visitors, no one except installation team members are to enter the installation zone unless directed to do so by an installation team member.
Commission: All artworks sold in the gallery are subject to commission as set out below:
|Major Office Bearers, Life Members & members who volunteer every week.||15%|
|Members who volunteer for 6 hours or more every month||20%|
|Members who volunteer once a month (minimum of 3 hours)||25%|
|Members who cannot volunteer||35%|
1. RULES FOR ARTWORKS IN THE MONTHLY COMPETITION SECTION
- The entry fee is $5 per painting. This must be paid when paintings are delivered. Entry fees are not refundable once a painting has been accepted for the exhibition. Paintings are to be delivered before 10.30am on the scheduled changeover day.
- Each member is limited to three (3) entries in each month’s competition.
- An entry must not have received a 1st or 2nd prize at any other art exhibition.
- Each entry must be an original work of the artist submitting the artwork and be in keeping with the subject stated for the competition. Copies, photography, computer generated images are not acceptable unless a section is created for that type of art.
- Artworks cannot be entered into the same monthly themed exhibition in subsequent years.
- All entries must be for sale. The commission rate will be that applicable to each individual member at the time based on that individual’s involvement.
- Artworks that are sold may be taken by the purchaser upon completion of payment and after the competition has been judged.
- Unsold artworks should not be collected before the next scheduled Exhibition without the Gallery Installation Co-ordinator’s permission. Members may take their paintings out after 2pm, Thursday prior to the Friday exhibition and gallery changeover.
- Artworks are not to be left on Thursday afternoon to be entered on Friday morning, they must be presented by either yourself or your nominated person.
2. RULES FOR ARTWORKS IN GENERAL SECTION
- Members who volunteer at least once per month are entitled to install in the General Gallery. They may display around four (4) artworks, (but this will depend on the size of the artworks). If all are large then only three are permitted. If all artworks are small, then five are allowed. The installation team have the final say. As well as four small unframed paintings for the display shelves. The number may be reduced if there is insufficient space available.
- Artworks in the General Hanging area in the gallery can be displayed 4 times a year with a 3 month break in between.
- There is no restriction as to how old the painting is when it was completed for this section.
- If an artwork displayed in the General Volunteer’s Hanging area of the gallery is sold, or the artist needs to take the artwork out for whatever reason, the artist may bring in another to replace it. Provided it is of similar size and type that would suit the position that the original painting was hanging. This is to avoid unnecessary work for the Gallery Installation Team. Do not hang artworks yourself. Instead contact the Installation Team Coordinator to arrange a suitable time to bring in your replacement painting.
3. RULES FOR 3D ARTWORKS & UNFRAMED MATTED ARTWORKS
- Any financial member who has volunteered for a minimum of 3 hours per month can display 3D Art and/or Unframed Matted Artworks at any time.
- Each item must be processed through the registry or given to the 3D Coordinator.
- Each item must be clearly labelled with the Artist’s name, artwork title and price.
- Unframed Matted Artworks are to be sealed in cellophane in a clean, presentable manner.
- Up to three larger 3D pieces or five smaller 3D pieces can be displayed.
- Up to five Unframed Matted Artworks can be displayed in the provided display shelves.
- 3D Artworks and Unframed Matted Artworks must be refreshed regularly to keep the display vibrant and fresh.
The ‘RULES FOR ALL ARTWORKS INSTALLED AT GALLERY 5’ specified on this page were issued on 26/11/2021 and apply from this date.